Thursday, December 17, 2009

Failed

I don't think I've ever failed a test, but they say there is a first for everything. Yesterday at my monthly doctor's appointment I learned that I failed my first glucose screen for gestational diabetes. Instead of just getting a nice fat F and going on my merry way, I now have to go back on Monday morning after 12 hours of fasting and do the following:

-Have my blood taken
-Drink sugary drink
-Have blood taken after 1 hour
-Have blood taken after 1 hour again
-Have blood taken after 1 hour again

Ok, so I'm probably making it sound worse than it is. I am a total baby when it comes to needles, but I do know how lucky I've been with having such a smooth pregnancy thus far so I'll stop here. And I think the odds are on my side - only 15% of women who have the second screen done actually have gestational diabetes.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post.....

    I found your site on stumbleupon and read a few of your other posts. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed to my Google News Reader. Looking forward to reading more from you down the road!

    Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete